Making a Will gives you an opportunity to:-
• Choose precisely how your property and assets will be distributed after your death
• Minimise tax liabilities that your estate may incur
• Appoint someone you know and trust to act as the Executor of your estate
• If you have children who are minors, to appoint Guardians of your choice
Protected Property Trust
Skilful use of this Trust in Wills for married couples in conjunction with advice on the family home may protect your share in the family home in the event of the survivor going into a Residential Nursing Home.
If as a single person you are worth more than £325,000 or as a married couple more than £650,000 then Inheritance Tax is an issue for you and tax efficient wills and/or lifetime gifts may save tax.
No-one knows what may be around the corner. In the worst scenario an Advance Directive will allow your say about the medical treatments you receive.
Probate Dispute Resolution
We advise those who dispute an Estate and how to reach a resolution in areas such as these:
• Validity of a Will and how to challenge a Will
• The use of a caveat to protect the estate until a challenge is made
• The removal of an Executor or Administrator who is not acting in the interest of the estate
• The costs of administering an estate and how to challenge those costs
• The claim of a person who has been left out of a Will or not included under Rules of Intestacy
Private Client Services
Our Private Client Department is led by Nick Goodheart who is a solicitor and a member of the ‘Solicitors for the Elderly’ panel of solicitors and is supported by four Solicitors and one Trainee and two Paralegals. The team is able to call upon a pool of experts such as Accountants, Barristers, Chartered Surveyors and Valuers and Independent Financial Advisers to provide comprehensive advice.
Elderly Client Services
Lasting Power of Attorney Elderly people face the possibility of losing some mental capacity as they grow older. Illness or accidents can have similar consequences at any age. Appointing an Attorney under an LPA to act on your behalf is a very convenient document. The LPA for Property and Financial Affairs allows your Attorney to deal with your property and assets. The LPA for Health and Welfare allows your Attorney to make decisions such as where you live and what treatment you have.
Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) We register LPAs and Enduring Powers of Attorney (made before October 2007) at the OPG and advise on disputes with regard to the validity of those documents and the actions of an Attorney.
Court of Protection
We advise members of families who have a person in their family who lacks capacity and when it is necessary for a person to be appointed as Deputy by the Court of Protection to deal with the financial affairs and property of that person.
Residential Nursing Home Fees We advise on financial assessments carried out by the Local Authority and their decision if an elderly person is a self-funder or not and we have specialist knowledge in considering the status of the family home in the assessment process.
NHS Continuing Healthcare We advise on whether someone is eligible for NHS Continuing Care and Nursing and the reviews of those decisions which decide if the NHS pays or not.
Administration of Estates
We advise in a sympathetic and professional manner on the administration of estates in areas such as these:-
• Application for Probate where there is a Will
• Application for Letters of Administration where there is no Will
• Completion of Inheritance Tax Accounts and payment of Inheritance Tax liabilities
• Collection of the assets and paying debts and legacies
• Preparing the Administration Accounts and distributing the balance of the estate to the Residuary Beneficiaries
• Post death variation of Wills/Rules of Intestacy by way of a Deed of Variation for the purposes of mitigating Inheritance Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax
Get in touch
Call Us: 0208 848 9988
FAX: 0208 561 0101
Link House, 1200 Uxbridge Road, Middlesex, UB4 8JD
EDC Lord & Co Solicitors Head Office
EDC Lord & Co Solicitors Head Office
1200 Uxbridge Road
Our Ealing Office has now closed, please refer to the head office in Hayes.